Coordinating Body Meeting Minutes – Oct 29, 2020

Shambhala Process Team – Coordinating Body Minutes  Meeting of 2020.10.29

Attendees : Catherine Éveillard, Janet Bronstein, Jim Fladmark, Shel Sampa Fisher  Absent :  Kristine McCutcheon, Nora Wiser

Roles  Facilitator : JB Minutes : JB   Speakers List : [name]  Time Keeper : NW Well-Being : [name] Call Host : JF

Item
1. Meditation
2. Opening
2.A. Opening Touch-In (brief transition: “what is alive in me now”)
2.B. Review/ Assign Meeting Roles
2.C. Approval of Minutes of Last Meeting
2.D. Approval of Agenda of Current Meeting
2.E Make copies of this document for approved Agenda, and for taking Minutes.
2.F. Confirm Date of Next Meeting
2.G. Confirm Call Connection Info for Next Meeting
2.H. Upcoming Events (dates related to PT or CB)
3. Status Updates

3.A. Completed Action Item Evaluations

3.B. Action Item Status Updates
SSF – Membership All-PT Call Feedback Need to review the recording of the September call, Will create a transcript, extract meaningful nuggets.

JB – CE TF Update View: each person transforms from separateness to integration.

JF Update on new F&L WG — Barbara Wolkowitz and Jon Barbieri will meet and get going.
4. Nomination Process for CB Vacancy
– Extended Status Update
– Including people besides those serving on the CB to help with the final nominees interviews, should these be required. Done, waiting for confirmation of attendance. Interviews are 10-30-20.
5. Brainstorming CB Evaluation Measures
– Are we ready to share a draft with the PT ?
How to scale up to a larger group of active people – how to keep small groups of people connected to each other. Collaborative – clear delegation and linking through communication.

Early, but having indicators will be confidence building. Mix counts and evaluations. Identify dimensions of good functioning and what the measures would look like. Dimensions of PT functioning and CB functioning. This is a coordinating mechanism.
Body Break
6. Forgiveness and Reconciliation – A Proposal
Extended Status Update—- tension around staying/escaping.
7. Discuss format of Center and Group zoom agenda: What are the challenges you are facing and what support could we offer each other? What is inspiring? Safe space, cradle of loving kindness

8. Review of the October All-PT Themed Call (2020.10.25): Success that the Board,PT and SGS together – felt complete like we were all on the same page, open and sharing. Bottom up emphasis, not waiting for the Board to do everything, but they want to listen,Circulation of communication

9. Inclusivity Support Team Update
– Grant-recipients outreach effort

Idea shared with Tara, she is supportive
Flex Time
– A Time for Empathetic Conversations ?
10. Debrief and Closing
10.A. Brief Meeting Evaluation (thumb gestures and, or a quick round of liked & did not like, deeper discussion would be scheduled for another time)
10.B. Closing Touch-In
10.C. Dedication of Merit
10.D. Bow

 

Action Items

 

Date Due Date Lead Action Item Details
10-29-20 11-4-20 JF-CE Confirm attendance for forgiveness gathering, plan the 11-15 gathering
10-29-20 11-4-20 SSF-JB Turn the evaluation brainstorm document into a set of indicatorsJB
10-29-20 11-4-20 JB Post minutes from 10-25 All-PT meeting

Thank you to members leaving the Process Team

The Coordinating Body would like to thank the following members for their activity on the PT and service to the community.  For the past two years these people have been active in their own locals and when they could added to the PT discussion.   We wish them all the best in their further activities.   

Jan Lamoc, Diane Whitcomb, Michael Carpenter, Fred Van Welsan, Ellen Napodano

Fred worked on Ulab and moved that forward.  Jan added stability and insight to the Governance discussions.  Micheal helped with the Journey document put together of the Process Teams work.  We would like to also thank Diane Whitcomb for her work on the Code of Conduct, the Protection working group, the Governance Working Group and the Coordinating Body and moved conversations forward artfully.  It was wonderful to work with all of them.   

Thank you for your service,    

Coordinating Body Meeting Notes – October 15, 2020

Shambhala Process Team – Coordinating Body  Minutes  Meeting of 2020.10.15

Attendees : Catherine Éveillard, Janet Bronstein, Jim Fladmark, Kristine McCutcheon, Shel Sampa Fisher        Absent :  Nora Wiser

Roles  Facilitator : JB Minutes : CE   Speakers List : [name]   Time Keeper : KM Well-Being : [name] Call Host : JF

Item
1. Meditation
2. Opening
2.A. Opening Touch-In (brief transition: “what is alive in me now”)
2.B. Review/ Assign Meeting Roles
2.C. Approval of Minutes of Last Meeting
2.D. Approval of Agenda of Current Meeting
2.F. Confirm Date of Next Meeting
2.G. Confirm Call Connection Info for Next Meeting
2.H. Upcoming Events (All PT 10-25)
Kristine in retreat, Nora and Catherine not available
Let’s do it at 15.00 ET for Susie
3. Status Updates

3.A. Completed Action Item Evaluations

3.B. Action Item Status Updates
All – Updating Times for All-PT Calls (Open & Themed) to be more accessible for New Zealand, Europe.
KM – Comms – Gratitude toward those recently stepping down
KM – Working with PT members who are not in a Working Group
Report on Open conversation meeting on 10-11
Report on the Board Webinar on 10-11
JF, KM – Open Video Call for group and centers planned in November ( two times for West coast and East coast)

SSF – Brainstorming CB Evaluation Measures
Please read
SSF – Finance & Legal Renewal
To be decided very soon: 3 candidates are lined up
SSF – Nomination Process for CB Vacancy
Starting today
SSF – Membership All-PT Call Feedback
To be followed
4. Healing and Reconciliation: a CEI project – A Proposal
Reference : Talk by William Ury – The Third Side
First: assemble a task-force to brainstorm what questions would be relevant ( with PT and non PT members)
Need to be clear about the role / responsibility of the Listening Group /
Time frame: run a first session mid november

6. Planning October All-PT Themed Call (2020.10.25)
Working Theme : Results of the SGS Centre & Groups Survey

Backup Plan : Relationship between PT & SGS & Board
Or : Serving on the PT and new people

5. Next Communication

On how and why to become member of the PTon a long view approach
To be discussed next week, after Membership All-PT Harvesting has been provided to PT.
7. Inclusiveness Support Team Update
Two threads can be constructed around this principle and issue
1- follow up on the projects that have been submitted and accepted by the Board on diversity and inclusivity. Possibly help the people who will carry on the projects to communicate to the whole sangha
2-Inclusivity in terms of empowering people
To be continued

FYI –
Inclusivity – emphasis on a policy of not excluding
Inclusiveness – a quality of trying to include many different types of people and treat everyone fairly and equitably
Flex Time
– PT Support to Centres ?
– A Time for Empathetic Conversations ?
8. Debrief and Closing
8.A. Brief Meeting Evaluation (thumb gestures and, or a quick round of liked & did not like, deeper discussion would be scheduled for another time)
8.B. Closing Touch-In
8.C. Dedication of Merit
8.D. Bow

 

 

Due Date Lead Action Item Details
18-10 KM Thank you note for people who have left the PT
KM Advertise Video Call for groups and centers in Nov
KM Post sense of shambhala part 4 when ready
KM Post approved minutes on web page
KM SSF Update and post dates going forward for all pt and open conversation calls
10-15 SSF Send an invitation to the three candidates for Finance and Legal working group for a group interview
10-15 SSF To launch the process of nomination of a new CB member

Coordinating Body Meeting Minutes – Oct 08, 2020

Shambhala Process Team – Coordinating Body Minutes  Meeting of 2020.10.08

Attendees : Catherine Éveillard, Janet Bronstein, Jim Fladmark, Kristine McCutcheon, Nora Wiser, Shel Sampa Fisher  Absent :  

Roles  Facilitator : CE Minutes : JB Speakers List : [name]  Time Keeper : NW Well-Being : [name] Call Host : JF

Item
1. Meditation
2. Opening
2.A. Opening Touch-In
2.B. Review/ Assign Meeting Roles
2.C. Approval of Minutes of Last Meeting and 2020.09.17
2.D. Approval of Agenda of Current Meeting
2.E Make copies of this document for approved Agenda, and for taking Minutes.
2.F. Confirm Date of Next Meeting
2.G. Confirm Call Connection Info for Next Meeting
2.H. Upcoming Events (dates related to PT or CB)
3. Status Updates

3.A. Completed Action Item Evaluations

3.B. Action Item Status Updates
KM – Comms – Gratitude toward those recently stepping down
KM – Working with PT members who are not in a Working Group
Going one by one and reaching out to see if the person wants to join a meeting.
KM – Draft to be read – next External Communication
Content will relate to recruiting new PT members.
JF – Forgiveness & Acceptance as a theme for a Community Engagement Activity
In discussion
SSF – Brainstorming CB evaluation measures
A document exists that people can add to.
SSF – Adding a Wiki capability to PT website, initially for CEI use
Reorganize a link on the PT web site that will allow people to find folders.
SSF – Finance & Legal Renewal
Will follow up this weekend
SSF – Share with PT harvest from August All-PT :: Membership

SSF – Scheduling Roles for Future Meetings
done
SSF – Membership All-PT Call Feedback
Will follow up this weekend – need to organize and feed back to the PT
4. Touch in on next Open Conversation (2020.10.11)
– Who will host ? Kristine will host, other CB members will be on the Board update call
– Could we start with 5 minutes per WG to share where they are at ? Inclusivity activities moved to CE Task Force
5. Nomination Process for CB Vacancy
Roll out the original TFF process to the PT, communication out by Monday. Open solicitation. Since this is a Governance representative, eligible people should be currently affiliated with Governance.
6. Planning October All-PT Themed Call (2020.10.25)
Working Theme : Relationship between PT & SGS (and Board ?)
Can we invite a member of SGS (and Board ?)
Verify and update or confirm originally planned time of call.
Focus on — results of the Center and Group survey — what is happening in the centers? — invite Melanie Klein and whoever from the Board would be appropriate. This fits with the PT role of connecting the entities through feedback.
7. Discussion re. inviting and training new PT members (i.e. Finance & Legal)
Condense and update the material from the TFF on belonging to the PT. expectations, operating instructions. One-on-one prep. People will be invited for specific tasks/work groups. This will need to be crafted and the right people invited. Include the results on the survey from the 9-26 meeting. How do we talk about PT membership – not a club but an invitation for service, a fluid enterprise with a time frame. And an interactive experience.
PT as a verb, it means we agreed to do this. Re-look at the TFF material from this perspective?
The PT Working Groups should have updated descriptions on the PT web site, so people will know what we are doing. What are the unmet needs going forward? Responsibility – the ability to respond.
Flex Time
– PT Support to Centres ?
– A Time for Empathetic Conversations ?
Could we invite Centers and Groups to an open call where they articulate what they need and where they are? Organize by time zones? Select dates in November. What are you concerned about, where do you need support, help C&G’s connect to each other. PT as “switchboard operator”
8. Debrief and Closing
8.A. Brief Meeting Evaluation (thumb gestures and, or a quick round of liked & did not like, deeper discussion would be scheduled for another time)
8.B. Closing Touch-In
8.C. Dedication of Merit
8.D. Bow

 

Decisions Made

 

Date Review Date Decision Details
10.08.20 10.15.20 The Board and SGS will be invited to October 25th All-PT meeting to discuss the Center Survey and status of Centers

 

Action Items

 

Date Due Date Lead Action Item Details
10.08.20 10.15.20 CE Change in the CB structure — no Inclusivity resource group, inactive Centers and Groups
10.08.20 10.12.20 SSF Nomination request out to the PT. Does not need CB approval, but get 24 hour time period for CB comments.
10.08.20 10.15.20 KM For October 25th All-PT meeting

  1. Invite Melanie and Susan Ryan to the Oct 25th All-PT meeting
  2. Save the Date to the PT for this meeting with the theme
10.08.20 10.15.20 CE

KM

SSF

Identify what enterprises will need new WG’s to serve by Process Teaming.  For example, financial structures, Centers & Groups
10.08.20 10.15.20 JF

KM

Plan the open Center zooms for November by time zones – articulate topics.

Coordinating BodyMeeting Minutes – October 01, 2020

Shambhala Process Team – Coordinating Body  Minutes  Meeting of 2020.10.01

Attendees : Catherine Éveillard, Janet Bronstein, Jim Fladmark, Kristine McCutcheon, Nora Wiser, Shel Sampa Fisher  Absent :  

Roles  Facilitator : KM, SSF Minutes : SSF Speakers List : [name]  Time Keeper : SSF Well-Being : [name] Call Host : JF

 

Item
1. Meditation
2. Opening
2.A. Opening Touch-In
2.B. Review/ Assign Meeting Roles
2.C. Approval of Minutes of Last 2 Meetings
2.D. Approval of Agenda of Current Meeting
2.E Make copies of this document for approved Agenda, and for taking Minutes.
2.F. Confirm Date of Next Meeting
2.G. Confirm Call Connection Info for Next Meeting
2.H. Upcoming Events (dates related to PT or CB)
Oct 11 13:00 ET open conversation will be replaced by Board Invitation to an update for leaders, janet will forward the invitation to K for announcement
13:00 Eastern Time – Oct 25th All PT
3. Status Updates

3.A. Completed Action Item Evaluations
SSF – Add Agenda for Next Meeting page to PT web site
KM – Security on/of Shambhala Network (was there something to follow up ?)
KM – Regular Agenda Item – Brief from Groups (does this need a follow-up ? PT groups ? external to PT groups ?)
KM – List of Inactive PT Members (web site needs update ?)
KM – List of Active PT Members (web site needs update ?)
KM – PT Membership Status, record of

3.B. Action Item Status Updates
KM – Working with PT members who are not in a Working Group
KM, NW – Shambhala Times Article
The Process Team (Coordinating Body and WGs) launches a Community Engagement Initiative
The article will be posted on the Shambhala Times in the coming weeks. It will be posted in the PT website 3 days before the publication so PT members know they can respond or comment..

KM – Draft to be read – next External Communication
– Next meeting

JF – Forgiveness & Acceptance as a theme for a Community Engagement Activity
There has been a lot of emails on the subject. We could compile some of the questions – a summary of the inputs – that have arisen and see if we can build up a CE conversation.

SSF – Brainstorming CB evaluation measures
Can we summarize our activities on an evaluation doc?
The point of the evaluation is for the PT to evaluate the CB activities and priorities. And stop the feeling of separation between the CB and the PT.
CB Appreciation & Evaluation Planning Document

SSF – Adding a Wiki capability to PT website, initially for CEI use
:
SSF – Finance & Legal Renewal: conversations with 2 possible candidates, on going
KM – Callout for new members for Finance & Legal (responses ?)
KM – Social Meditation within the PT ? – completed
JB – Share with PT harvest from August All-PT :: PT Next Steps
SSF – Share with PT harvest from September All-PT :: Membership

SSF – Scheduling roles for future meetings : to be done for next week

JB – CE Update
Potential Board interest in adopting PT CE Framework
RUoP accepted PT CE to facilitate an upcoming conversation

KM – Centres & Groups Surveys
Openness from SGS to work more closely with PT :
Board as visioning
SGS as actualizing
PT as feedback loop

4. CB Vacancy – Governance Nominee
A formal goodbye – KM
Nomination Process – decision – reuse TT nomination process SSF, JF

5. Debrief on September All-PT Call :: Membership (2020.09.26)
Asynchronous feedback form created, cutoff 2020.10.07.

6. Initial Planning / Brainstorm on October 25 All-PT Call :: ? (2020.10.25) – Membership Proposal ? A topic outside PT : e.g.
– SGS Centre Survey
– Sakyong Teaching
– Community Engagement Plan
– Relationship between PT & SGS (and Board ?) and invite a member of SGS (and Board ?).
Notes :
* Check with Susie re. her availability
* There is a Mahayana call that day from 13:00 to 14:30 ET.
7. Touch in on next Open Conversation (2020.10.11)
– Who will host ? (KM on retreat)
– Could we start with 5 minutes per WG to share where they are at ?
– This next date & time conflicts with a Board Open Call :
– – Can we invite the whole PT to the Board conversation ?
8. Updates from Working Groups
Flex Time
Discussion re. inviting and training new PT members (i.e. Finance & Legal)

9. Debrief and Closing
9.A. Brief Meeting Evaluation (thumb gestures and, or a quick round of liked & did not like, deeper discussion would be scheduled for another time)
9.B. Closing Touch-In
9.C. Dedication of Merit
9.D. Bow

Decisions Made

 

Date Review Date Decision Details
2020.10.01 Shambhala Times article cleared to be sent for publication next week.

 

Action Items

 

Date Due Date Lead Action Item Details
2020.10.01 JB Confirm whether all PT members can attend Board Open Call.
2020.10.01 KM Prepare draft of ‘goodbye’ for PT members and evaluate where it is to be posted
2020.10.01 KM Post shambhala times article – for transparency on groups IO for all of the PT.  
2020.10.01 SF Scheduling roles for future meetings : to be done fo

 next week

2020.10.? SF Nomination for open CB seat

 

Coordinating Body Meeting Minutes – Sep 24, 2020

Shambhala Process Team – Coordinating Body Minutes Meeting of 2020.09.24

Attendees : Catherine Éveillard, Janet Bronstein, Jim Fladmark, Kristine McCutcheon, Nora Wiser, Shel Sampa Fisher  Absent :  

Roles Facilitator : KM Minutes : Speakers List : [name] Time Keeper : JB Well-Being : [name] Call Host : JF

Item
1. Meditation
2. Opening
2.A. Opening Touch-In
2.B. Review / Assign Meeting Roles
2.C. Approval of Minutes of Last Meeting
Request that they include more details (action item). Approval pushed to next meeting.
2.D. Approval of Agenda of Current Meeting
2.E. Confirm Date of Next Meeting
2.F. Confirm Call Connection Info for Next Meeting
2.G. Upcoming Events (dates related to PT or CB)
3. Status Updates
3.A. Completed Action Item Evaluations
KM/DW – Sending announcement for new members for Legal and Finance.
SSF will follow up on this announcement with Board and applicants.

3.B. Action Item Status Updates
SSF – Brainstorming CB evaluation measures :: Subtopic – where are we at as the CB right now :
Need new nominee for the CB, from Gov M. group
To be added as an item to next week’s agenda

KM – Shambhala Times Article
The Process Team (Coordinating Body and WGs) launches a Community Engagement Initiative
Draft to be read – next External Communication
Nora will edit a final version and be free to submit it without further CB review.

KM – Establishing a list of inactive members.

KM – Reminder to update the proposed and upcoming list of communications doc in Comms Document

JB – CE TF Update
RUoP course is presenting as an opportune venue for further piloting and recruitment.
CE TF discussing this in next meeting.
CE TF continues to prototype the method.

JF – Forgiveness & Acceptance as a Community Engagement Activity
View is that this a subgroup of the CE TF.
There is a lot of communication on the subject at the moment but we need clarity on how we will approach the topic, how to frame it so that it is uplifting, not divisive.
From perspective of a CEI conversation, we need to define clearly who we want to invite to the conversation and who is going to be the listener.
It would be good to frame the dimensions of forgiveness we want to work with to enable a generative conversation. A listening context.

KM – How are Centres feeling, What do Centres need ?
A couple of surveys unintentionally overlapped ; one from SGS, one from KM.
KM, as an individual, put out a survey on Shambhala Network : There were good responses from the ground, however confusion about where the survey was coming led her to withdraw the survey.
Learning : When we speak on public platforms, by default we represent the PT. If not, we need to clearly mention that we are speaking as an individual.

4. Designing & Planning 09/26 All-PT Call
Inviting and onboarding new PT members
Document on new pt members

Questions for the All PT meeting:
What does it mean to be on the PT ?
How to motivate inactive PT members to be more active ?
Do any Working Groups need new members ?
What do we need to take care of when bringing on new members ?

The CB is the “Listener”, receiving the harvesting
Action Context is to feed into a Proposal by the CB to Update PT Membership Responsibilities.

Applications will be sent to the CB. CB will forward to appropriate WG.
5. Updates from Working Groups
Update on Gov mods CE conversation

Flex Time
6. Debrief and Closing
6.A. Brief Meeting Evaluation (thumb gestures and, or a quick round of liked & did not like, deeper discussion would be scheduled for another time)
6.B. Closing Touch-In
6.C. Dedication of Merit
6.D. Bow

Decisions Made

Date Review Date Decision Details
Sep 24, 2020 6mths? We agreed to record our meetings so that we have them to check for minute taking.  

 

Action Items

 

Date Due Date Lead Action Item Details
2020.09.24 2020.09.30 KM Announcement of Diane’s departure to the PT
2020.09.24 NW Nora will finish editing the Sha. Times article for beg.of next week
2020.09.24 SS Shel Sampa is now responsible to reconstitute the F&L WG
2020.09.24 JF Connect with other PT members on what a CE on Forgiveness might involve.  What would the Question(s) be ?  How might the Invitation be framed ?
2020.09.24 JB Post on PT groups.io the list of topics that have come up (e.g. Forgiveness) and the harvesting from the pilot PT CE activity.
2020.09.24 NW, KM Identify and work on next steps for the questions of How are Centres Feeling ? ; What do Centres Need ?
2020.09.24 SSF, JB Reminder for 2020.09.26 All-PT will be automatically sent tonight, text to be updated before then :

1- What does it mean to be on the PT from existing PT members ?

2- How to motivate inactive members ?  Discussion is applicable to current members, as well as to ensuring new members get off to a good start.

Also : 

What is the integration process?

We can also mention the issue of  burn out :  Would it help if members had a finite term ?

JB will ask if Fred could be the facilitator.

Coordinating Body Meeting Notes – September 17, 2020

Shambhala Process Team – Coordinating Body

Minutes   Meeting of 2020.09.17

Attendees : Catherine Éveillard, Diane Whitcomb, Janet Bronstein, Jim Fladmark, Kristine McCutcheon, Nora Wiser, Shel Sampa Fisher, Peter Nowak, Phil Cass

Absent :  Roles  Facilitator : KM Minutes : SSF Speakers List : [name]

Time Keeper : JB Well-Being : [name] Call Host : JF

Item
1. Meditation
2. Discussion with Board Vision and Planning
2A Introductions
2B Overview from the Board V&P
2C. Discussion of scope of work and PT involvement
3. Opening
3.A. Opening Touch-In
3.B. Review/ Assign Meeting Roles
3.C. Approval of Minutes of Last Meeting
3.D. Approval of Agenda of Current Meeting
3.E. Confirm Date of Next Meeting
3.F. Confirm Call Connection Info for Next Meeting
3.G. Upcoming Events (dates related to PT or CB) Sep 12 PT ‘office’
4. Status
4.A. Completed Action Item Evaluations
– n/a

4.B. Action Item Status Check-Ins / Updates
– (KM) Reminder to participate in Comms Document
– (DW) Finance and Legal call out to the Community
It was posted on Sangha Announce – KM
– (JB) CE TF Update
– (JF) Forgiveness as Community Engagement
– (NW) How are centres feeling
– (DW) info on Designing, & Planning, inviting and onboarding new PT members. (Topic for 9/26 all PT call) Document on new pt members

4.C. Updates from Working Groups
12
5. Communication: Shambhala Times Article
The Process Team (Coordinating Body and WGs) launches a Community Engagement Initiative
Draft to be read
next External Communication

6. Debrief and Closing
8.A. Brief Meeting Evaluation (thumb gestures and, or a quick round of liked & did not like, deeper discussion would be scheduled for another time)
8.B. Closing Touch-In
8.C. Dedication of Merit
8.D. Bow

Coordinating Body Meeting Notes – September 10, 2020

Shambhala Process Team – Coordinating Body

Minutes  Meeting of 2020.09.10

Attendees : Catherine Éveillard, Diane Whitcomb, Janet Bronsteinet , Jim Fladmark, Kristine McCutcheon, Nora Wiser, Shel Sampa Fisher

Absent :  Roles  Facilitator : KM Minutes : SSF Speakers List : [name]

Time Keeper : JB Well-Being : [name] Call Host : JF

Item
1. Meditation
2. Opening
2.A. Opening Touch-In
2.B. Review/ Assign Meeting Roles
2.C. Approval of Minutes of Last Meeting
2.D. Approval of Agenda of Current Meeting
2.E. Confirm Date of Next Meeting
2.F. Confirm Call Connection Info for Next Meeting
2.G. Upcoming Events (dates related to PT or CB) Sep 12 PT ‘office’
3. Status
3.A. Completed Action Item Evaluations
– n/a

3.B. Action Item Status Check-Ins / Updates
– (KM) Reminder to participate in Comms Document
– (DW) Finance and Legal call out to the Community – recruitment on-going, announcement to be posted.
– (JB) CE TF Update – continuing to refine, timeline moves to meeting with Care and Conduct.
– (SS) Mtg w/Vision & Planning- scheduled for Sept 17, not clear if it is 60 or 90 minutes.
3.C. Updates from Working Groups
C&C Info from Tara on PT status – note that under the current policy, PT members are considered leadership and subject to grievances.
4. Forgiveness as Community Engagement — multi-faceted notion of “forgiveness” – acceptance, Don’t need answers, just the meta-questions. For example responsibility/blame and what ties together as a community, How to host. What is a dharmic-based approach – 4 powers
JF will gather a group of people to prepare possible conversations around the process of Forgiveness.
5. Discussing, designing, and planning inviting and onboarding new PT Members process – How to use the Sept 26 PT meeting – repeat an open call for people with all skills. Invite people in to current situation, here are the guidelines.? Or recruit for specific action items? Invitation, bringing in, meaningful output. Set the expectation that being part of the whole is an expectation, as is participating vs just observing. What is the linkage between PT members and “their communities”
6. Shambhala Times Article
The Process Team (Coordinating Body and WGs) launches a Community Engagement Initiative
Draft to be read End it with an energetic vague statement about opportunities going forward.
7. Work together on next External Communication
8. Flex Time – CB role review?
On-going multiple conversations about changing the Shambhala Network participation rules – Questions around security are explored by the cybersecurity kasung group. this seems to be taking place in multiple venues, can they be linked?
9. Debrief and Closing
8.A. Brief Meeting Evaluation (thumb gestures and, or a quick round of liked & did not like, deeper discussion would be scheduled for another time)
8.B. Closing Touch-In
8.C. Dedication of Merit
8.D. Bow

Coordinating Body Meeting Minutes – Sep 03, 2020

Shambhala Process Team – Coordinating Body Minutes Meeting of 2020.09.03

Attendees : Catherine Éveillard, Diane Whitcomb, Janet Bronsteinet , Jim Fladmark, Kristine McCutcheon, Nora Wiser, Shel Sampa Fisher Absent :  

RolesFacilitator : JF Minutes : SSF Speakers List : [name] Time Keeper : JB Well-Being : [name] Call Host : JF

Item
1. Meditation
2. Opening
2.A. Opening Touch-In
2.B. Review/ Assign Meeting Roles
2.C. Approval of Minutes of Last Meeting
2.D. Approval of Agenda of Current Meeting
2.E. Confirm Date of Next Meeting
2.F. Confirm Call Connection Info for Next Meeting
2.G. Upcoming Events (dates related to PT or CB)
2020.09.12 – PT Conversation Call
2020.09.10 – Role shift : KM & DW to be Facilitators & Converners

3. Status
3.A. Completed Action Item Evaluations
– n/a

3.B. Action Item Status Check-Ins / Updates
– (KM) Reminder to participate in Comms Document
– (DW) Update on meeting with JCobb
– (CE) Change proposed in Inclusiveness SG
4.CB CE TF Update and Debrief – All PT Call from Aug 30
Gratitude for how well hosted it was, well structured
Appreciation for the openness of people with usually diverse and opposed opinions.
The feeling that all of us are trying to find an outcome.
Sense that GMS was agreeing that input from the community needs to come first, before pushing views to the community.
Call to connect with Centres
Could we invite Centre leaders to join All-PT calls ?
Forgiveness and acceptance – hard to move forward when still in blame.
Could there be a Working Group or Healing & Learning TF to host community conversations on forgiveness & acceptance ?
CE TF is building bridges with Office of Communication / Tara Templin, how to shift our culture.
Boulder Centre is initiating 2 Peace Circles
Working with non-response to breaches of code of conduct
Lu collective on ?
When we build knowledge (e.g. these Peace Circles) how do we share this knowledge ?
Nancy Kaplon had a way of data mining Shambhala web sites.
Can we emphasize care for members who are feeling disconnected from the mandala or not heard ?
What does it mean to be a nurturing community within which people can come and go ?
Break
5. Request to meet with CB, GMS – from Board’s Planning and Vision – Governance Committee
Request that JF be added as a CB representative

6. Would it help PT communication to renew the Conveners’ Circle ?
In PT Y1, the rise of the Conveners’ Circle led to greater sharing and communication between Working Groups.

Concern about existing bandwidth availability.
Concern about spending more energy that is focussed inward within the PT, rather than outward toward the community.
Could we adopt the ST recommendation that we have half the CB meeting open to the PT ?
Could we do this once per month ?, once every two weeks.
Could we make a list of who the CB would like to invite and schedule one person per such meeting ?

7. Shambhala Times Article
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EvLVvIP8hfL6sd2gO_jfKiHQybVipZN3SrFdU_AEpdE/edit?usp=sharing
Draft to be read before meeting, please
8. Work together on next External Communication
9. Flex Time – CB role review?

10. Debrief and Closing
8.A. Brief Meeting Evaluation (thumb gestures and, or a quick round of liked & did not like, deeper discussion would be scheduled for another time)
8.B. Closing Touch-In
8.C. Dedication of Merit
8.D. Bow

Action Items

 

Date Due Date Lead Action Item Details
2020.09.03 DW Draft a Comm to invite community members with Legal & Accounting backgrounds to join the Legal & Finance Workgroup.
2020.09.03 All Networking to identify community members with Legal & Accounting backgrounds
2020.09.03 NW, KM Opening a forum for Centres to share with the PT about what is happening in Centres, and how can the PT help ?

  • Can Centres & Groups pick this up ?
2020.09.03 JF Mapping and pulling together resources around conversations re. forgiveness and acceptance

  • Can Healing & Learning pick this up ?
2020.09.03 2020.09.06 All Give feedback on Shambhala Times article :

Is it too many topics in one article ?

Process Team Update – September 03, 2020

The Coordinating Body intends to have frequent short communications from the Coordinating Body of what the Process team is working on. This communication is about the Code of Conduct.

Recently the Shambhala Code of Conduct policies were released. The new Shambhala Code of Conduct has two main parts: Part I – The Policies; and Part II – The Process. All of Part I – the Policies can now be viewed on the new Shambhala Code of Conduct Hub at https://code-of-conduct.shambhala.org/.  Part II – the Process, Guidelines and Procedures – is still being reviewed and finalized, and will be released before the end of this year.  The entire new Shambhala Code of Conduct Policies and Process will go into effect on Shambhala Day, February 12, 2021.

The overall Code of Conduct is about how we treat each other. In Shambhala this is influenced by how we understand the Shambhala teachings and bring our awareness and experience of meditation into our daily relationships. Although much care has been written to express ‘conduct in everyday life’ in language that is easy for anyone to understand, and that is easy to translate into the many languages of people practicing in Shambhala, the new Code of Conduct policies can only be as valuable as the people who work with them. The policies are intended to invite reflection and a community discussion on our behavior according to the view and practice of our Shambhala teachings, as well as to define misconduct and express our intention to be inclusive, responsible and caring. 

In all societies misconduct, mistakes and misunderstandings occur. For Part II of the Code of Conduct, the Process, the core question guiding the procedures is: How do we in Shambhala respond when misconduct happens? In general, the new Shambhala Code of Conduct process includes acknowledging the misconduct and mistakes to enable us to learn from them, and if at all possible restore harmony with those involved, as well as in the community in which this occurs. Just like the Policies in Part I, the Process in Part II also depends on how  people understand the view and practice of our Shambhala teaching, and the process will also depend on how we develop our skills to work with the processes and the people involved. The principles in the Code are living principles and are a basis for forming a good human society. This is a starting point, rather than a final word on how we exist together.  

The Code of Conduct Hub has several supporting documents in addition to the five new policies, including a ‘Board Introduction to the Shambhala Code of Conduct’, which offers a practical context for the Code of Conduct policies. You are encouraged to take some time to visit the Code of Conduct hub at https://code-of-conduct.shambhala.org/ and to send us your feedback.