Coordinating Body Minutes Meeting of 2021.04.13

Attendees :  Catherine Éveillard, Ivan Tröscher, Janet Bronstein, Jim Fladmark, Nora Wiser, Shel Sampa Fisher
Absent :  Kristine McCutcheon

Roles
Facilitator : NW    Minutes : JB    Time Keeper : CE
Well-Being :     Speakers List :     Call Host : JF

Item

1. Meditation

2. Opening
2.A.  Opening Extended Check-In
2.B.  Review / Assign Meeting Roles
2.C.  Approval of Minutes of Last Meeting
2.D.  Approval of today’s Agenda
2.E   Make copies of this document for approved Agenda, and for taking Minutes.
2.F.  Confirm Date of Next Meeting (2021.04.20)
2.G.  Confirm Call Connection Info for Next Meeting
2.H.  Upcoming Events (see status updates below)
All PT-Call – April 25th, 16:00 Eastern Time

3.  Status Updates

3.A.  Outreach to GMS re. new person to serve on GMS
– No objections, so accepted

3.B.  Community Engagement Conversations
– Shambhala Board is interested in hearing about the conversations.

3.C.  Code of Conduct
– Moving into a training mode for the facilitators and others.  Reminder that the new CoC emphasizes that everyone has a responsibility for the well being of the whole.  How to learn from our mistakes ?

4. Further Discussion of the Serving-on-the-PT Document
Actions?

 – CB will continue to refine the document and review again next week.
 – When it reflects the consensus of the CB, the intention is to meet one-on-one with key people to talk through the ideas.

Body Break

5.  CB Refresh on Midsummer’s Day (All-PT call of June 27, 4pm Eastern)
How?

Roles to be filled
– (1) PTP
 – (2) IT & Communications
 – (3) Project Management & Admin Support
– (4) Healing-Learning
Process would be to request nominations in these areas.
It is intentional for the CB to renew on Midsummer’s day, and the PT to renew on Shambhala day.  See 2021 Nomination Process document.

What should the role of the CB be in making the selections ?
Should we invite other people from the PT, or outside the PT, to form a replacement-nomination solicitation committee ?
Maybe one CB member and others from outside the PT ?
Solicit volunteers openly ?

6.  Planning for the April All-PT Call
Sunday April 24, 4pm EDT. 

Business (IT & CE)
 – WG updates (emphasis on CEI)
 – Finish starting again
 – Introducing new members
 – Towards Seating a CB selection group :  Start a nomination process for WG reps.

Themed Discussion (JF & JB)
 – Code of Conduct training/culture shift ?  Explore what it will take to shift the culture towards Code of Conduct.

7. Review Backlog Items on Trello

Debrief and Closing
A. Brief Meeting Evaluation (thumb gestures and, or a quick round of liked & did not like, deeper discussion would be scheduled for another time), and Closing Touch-In
B. Dedication of Merit
C. Bow

 

Decisions Made

Date Review Date Decision Details

2021.04.13

2021.04.20

The CB replacement selection committee will be drawn from the PT, might include one existing CB member.  This will be a point of business for 2021.04.25 All-PT meeting.

2021.04.13

2021.04.20

Open the 2021.04.25 all-PT meeting to the community.

 

Action Items

Date Due Date Lead Action Item Details

2021.04.13

2021.04.16 (Fri) draft to CB / 

2021.04.18out to i.o.

SSF, JF, IT Draft and send to PT an invitation to the 4/25 All PT meeting – business component plus theme of “implications of the COC for changing Shambhala culture”

2021.04.13

IT Discussions with key people about ideas for the working document on serving on the PT — not as a finished product but as the building of ideas.

2021.04.13

2021.04.20

SSF Post 2021.03.30 and 2021.04.06 minutes to the PT web site.

 

Coordinating Body Minutes Meeting of 2021.04.06

Attendees :  Catherine Éveillard, Ivan Tröscher, Janet Bronstein, Jim Fladmark, Nora Wiser
Absent :  Kristine McCutcheon, Shel Sampa Fisher

Roles
Facilitator : NW    Minutes : JB    Time Keeper : CE
Well-Being :     Speakers List :     Call Host : JF

Item

1.  Meditation

2.  Opening
2.A.  Opening Check-In
2.B.  Review / Assign Meeting Roles
2.C.  Approval of Minutes of Last Meeting

2.D.  Approval of today’s Agenda
2.E   Make copies of this document for approved Agenda, and for taking Minutes.
2.F.  Confirm Date of Next Meeting (2021.04.13)
2.G.  Confirm Call Connection Info for Next Meeting
2.H.  Upcoming Events (see status updates below)
All PT-call April 25th, 16:00 Eastern Time

3.  Status Updates

3.A.  Call with new people serving on Finance & Legal WG
– PT oath ?, Perhaps a welcome at next All-PT meeting ?  

4.  Further Discussion of Serving on PT Document
– Actions?

What happens if a new person wants to join but the WG they want to join doesn’t want them?
* Propose to ask the WG, and if they say no, form a task force that the new person could be part of

Have a simpler proposal for serving on the PT, perhaps based on an annual flow, decorum “house rules”, how do people enter – into PT or into WG ?  We now realize that there needs to be a way in if a WG is not ready to accept new members.
* If this is our idea, we should talk to key people beforehand who need to understand this proposal.  We explain the point of it, what we are trying to do, let them give us feedback. 

Proposal – subcommittee to rewrite the proposal along the lines we have discussed.  Then we consider whether to go ahead and discuss with our key stakeholders, before it goes to the next All-PT meeting. 

Body Break

5.  Follow-Up to Recent Groups dot I.O. Posts re CB
– There are people on PT who do not understand what the CB is/does ?

6.  Review Backlog Items on Trello

7.  Working out April All PT Call

– Hopefully bring back the revised Serving-on-PT Flow document, after discussions about ground rules with key stakeholders

Debrief and Closing
A. 
Brief Meeting Evaluation (thumb gestures and, or a quick round of liked & did not like, deeper discussion would be scheduled for another time), and Closing Touch-In
B. 
Dedication of Merit
C. 
Bow

 

Decisions Made

Date Review Date Decision Details

2021.04.06

2021.04.13 We will decide at the 2021.04.13 meeting whether to meet with key PT stakeholders about the proposed revision to the Serving-on-PT Flow document

 

Action Items

Date Due Date Lead Action Item Details

2021.04.06

2021.04.13 IT, NW Reconstruct the Serving-on-PT document with an annual flow, entry, house rules. Dispute resolution ?

 

Coordinating Body Minutes Meeting of 2021.03.30

Attendees :  Catherine Éveillard, Ivan Tröscher, Janet Bronstein, Jim Fladmark, Nora Wiser,
Absent :  Kristine McCutcheon, Shel Sampa Fisher

Roles
Facilitator :         Minutes :     JB    Time Keeper :    CE
Speakers List:     Well-Being :        Call Host :    JF

Item

1. Meditation

2. Opening
2.A.  Opening Touch-In (brief transition: “what is alive in me now”)
2.B.  Review/ Assign Meeting Roles
2.C.  Approval of Minutes of Last Meeting
2.D.  Approval of Today’s Agenda
2.E.  Make copies of this document for approved Agenda, and for taking Minutes.
2.F.  Confirm Date of Next Meeting (2021.04.06)
2.G.  Confirm Call Connection Info for Next Meeting
2.H.  Upcoming Events (see status updates below)
– Next All PT-Call is April 25 @ 16:00 Eastern Time

3. Status Updates

3.A.  N/A

4. Review of the 2021.03.27 All-PT Call

Sense that the PT wants to continue.
How to do this without making boxes ?  Yet the value of some principles and forms is also clear ?

Body Break

5. Brainstorm re. Serving on Process Team Document

    • Role of CB — a group with a meta view that can see how the PT fits into the larger Shambhala world, can view what is needed.
    • Decorum for participating rather than a rule for who can and can’t participate ; and a decorum for working with that input rather than being intimidated about it.
      • Validity of all views, but some are broader and therefore more helpful than others.
      • Skillful means of not getting triggered by other people’s stuff.
    • Perhaps request people to always be part of a WG (the architecture of the PT) and then the WGs take care of their own decorum and enforcement.
      What architecture would be functional?

      • Ask specific person what that would look like for them, what WG would they plug in to?
      • Present the challenge of their rhetorical approach.  What would be a way to help them speak in a more helpful way ?
    • Maybe the out-boundary is set on the WG level instead of the PT level ?
    • Note that people do voluntarily leave, maybe kicking people out is not the issue, but removing people who leave from email  and document access could be sharper.
    • Consider explicit renewing of the commitment to the PT, cuts through the privilege aspect of being part of the group, you actually say – yes – I am still active.
      • Suggest that people re-look at their activity and voluntarily renew.
    • For entering – maybe people begin by working in a Working Group, and then consider being on the PT.
      • Is there really a difference between being active on the PT and being in a WG?
      • It is OK to limit your commitment on the PT to a single task, but the idea of leaving these people off of the PT doesn’t make sense.
      • Provide a document on what it means to be on the PT.
    • Open-ness of PT sharing and communication, serving on the PT has a relationship with a Working Group, moving into + enter + leave, know that this is evolving.
      Sense of freshness, inspire decorum.

6.  Open All-PT Meeting – with community invited
What would the topic be ?

7.  Review Backlog Items on Trello

Debrief and Closing
A.  Brief Meeting Evaluation (thumb gestures and, or a quick round of liked & did not like, deeper discussion would be scheduled for another time), and Closing Touch-In
B.  Dedication of Merit
C.  Bow

Decisions Made

N/A

 

Action Items

Date Due Date Lead Action Item Details
2021.03.30 2021.04.06 JF

Contact Lynele and Barbara and organize a joint call that Ivan will join to bring Lynele into Finance and Legal.

Coordinating Body Minutes Meeting of 2021.03.23

Attendees :  Catherine Éveillard, Ivan Tröscher, Janet Bronstein, Jim Fladmark, Kristine McCutcheon, Nora Wiser, Shel Sampa Fisher
Absent :  

Roles
Facilitator : SSF     Minutes : KM     Time Keeper : JB
Speakers List :      Well-Being :      Call Host : JF

Item

1. Meditation

2. Opening
2.A.  Opening Touch-In (brief transition: “what is alive in me now”)>
2.B.  Review/ Assign Meeting Roles
2.C.  Approval of minutes of last meeting
2.D.  Approval of today’s Agenda
2.E.  Make copies of this document for approved Agenda, and for taking Minutes.
2.F.  Confirm Date of Next Meeting (2021.03.30)
2.G.  Confirm Call Connection Info for Next Meeting
2.H.  Upcoming Events (see status updates below)
All PT-call March 27, 15:00 Eastern Time

3. Status Updates

3.A. PT Communication re. Assessor documents

3.B. Posting Minutes to PT Web Site

3.C. Acknowledging the contributions of people who have recently stepped down

4. Heart & Grounding Activity

Body Break

5. Following up on providing information to the Assessors

  • Document 2
    This is a valuable document for including people’s voices and sharing their experiences with people beyond the PT.
    Clarify & remind PT how to contribute to it.
  • Note that the Assessor process is a preliminary process, and while it will be over soon, it is only the beginning.
  • Add the Financial & Legal liaison to the Boards and Assessors document

6. Following up on PT Response to Serving on the PT
Working out the details for the All PT call

  • To have a conversation about the next phase of serving on the PT
  • Reminder of Code of Conduct points
  • Working Group Updates & Assessors
    • CB : a number of people on CB will be stepping down on Midsummer’s Day
  • Report what CB heard back from PT
  • Share where CB is at and CB need to have a clear sense of how one joins, serves on, and steps down from the PT
  • Break out activity :  What inspires you and what would you like to see going forward

7. Review backlog items on Trello

Debrief and Closing
A.  Brief Meeting Evaluation (thumb gestures and, or a quick round of liked & did not like, deeper discussion would be scheduled for another time), and Closing Touch-In
B.  Dedication of Merit
C.  Bow

 

Decisions Made

N/A

 

Action Items

Date Due Date Lead Action Item Details
2021.03.23 2021.03.24 KM

Update the AllPT call information on calendar and send out an invitation to the PT.

2021.03.23 2021.03.27 KM

Document 2 – Follow up with Ron

2021.03.23 2021.03.25 All

Review and approve plan for 2021.03.27 All-PT Call

 

Coordinating Body Minutes Meeting of 2021.03.16

Attendees :  Catherine Éveillard, Ivan Tröscher, Janet Bronstein, Jim Fladmark, Kristine McCutcheon, Nora Wiser, Shel Sampa Fisher
Absent : 

Roles
Facilitator : SSF     Minutes : KM     Time Keeper : JB
Speakers List :      Well-Being :      Call Host : JF

Item

1. Meditation

2. Opening
2.A.  Opening Touch-In (brief transition: “what is alive in me now”)
2.B.  Review/ Assign Meeting Roles
2.C.  Approval of minutes of last meeting
2.D.  Approval of today’s Agenda
2.E.  Make copies of this document for approved Agenda, and for taking Minutes.
2.F.  Confirm Date of Next Meeting (2021.03.23)
2.G.  Confirm Call Connection Info for Next Meeting
2.H.  Upcoming Events (see status updates below)
All PT-call March 27, 15:00 Eastern Time

3. Status Updates

3.A.  Finance and Legal Group update and support
– Invite BW and LJ for 30 min of next CB meeting?
– BW is preparing something that could support assessors and would like to consult with John Cobb

3.B.  IT&Comms ST, PM&Admin ST new members
– That will happen this weekend

3.C.  Next step for CoC CE Conversation
– JF will connect with FM

3.D. CE TF Update
– The leadership conversations are done and more is happening.
– Some speeding up of harvesting process. 

4.  Following up on Providing Information to the Assessors

Adding to a next communication
– How to better express an invitational approach
– Adding additional resources

We do actually have a process for agreeing to the communications before they go out.  The CB did not follow that process.
We could put out a communication – starting by making a mistakes.
Respond – as normal and healthy as possible
Model a mistake-acknowledgement-no-fault approach to social interaction, not being dismissive of people who trigger us.

Some of the assessors are making themselves known to some of the contacts that we have made available.  So our communications have gone through to some level.

How to improve interaction within the CB – not just make resolutions to do better ?

Wanting greater interaction with each of the people on the PT.

How to better express an invitational approach ?
How to remember to follow our internal review process before issuing statements to the PT ?
Model a mistake-acknowledgement-no-fault approach to social interaction, not being dismissive of people who trigger us.
How to improve interaction within the CB – not just make resolutions to do better?
How to improve interaction between CB & PT ?

Importance of including context information at the start of a communication.

Suggestion – that we use this as basis of the next March All-PT conversation.

Suggestion – that we write a message to the PT acknowledging confusion of last communication.|
Agreed to 24 hour turnaround – IT to write

Body Break

5.  Serving on the PT – PT Feedback and Returning to the Proposal Forming Process

5.0.  Continue Discussion – What is the CB Ground re. this issue ?

5.1.  Review of the CB Proposal Forming Process for Difficult Conversations, applied to this topic.

We discussed a variety of ways of softening this so it is less silo or boxy.
Of note the existing agreements – are just part of the introduction – so that we can get to a structured conversation.

Does the all PT need to approve any structure around entering and leaving
– YES, the PT will be involved in shaping any final proposal.

Refer to doc Basic Outline of a Proposal Forming Process, that starts with the CB mandate to look after the PT

Suggestion that we ask only a few questions ; something very simple :
– How people join, serve, step down ?
– rather than a 7-page document; which is in itself already a proposal
– Maybe we can use those existing parameters.  

Could this be a topic for the next all-PT meeting ?
What are we trying to do for the PT ?
What would we do with the input we receive?
Could the invitation be based on the minutes of the September meeting where this was already discussed ?

Affirmation that it is already clear that the CB has a mandate to review this topic and to start a PT process for discussion, to herd the process forward and to reach a conclusion about this, open and transparent. Don’t be afraid of the possibility of push-back.

Sharing that the way the Proposal Forming Process is presented still appears to be imposing a certain relationship between the CB and the PT. We want to know where we are going as a CB  – but  we need to be skilful to present it to the PT.

How would this be enforced ?, by who ?

Request that the CB have a extra meeting to continue this discussion and also assess for ourselves what we have done for the PT, in a different language.  What is the PT ?  One answer :  The PT is an experiment.

Set a time – 2021.03.19 Friday 11 AM Eastern
– What would be effective ways for the CB to work and interact with the PT
– What is the ground ?
– Structure as a conversation
– How could the PT survive ?
– What hasn’t been working.

Debrief and Closing
A.  Brief Meeting Evaluation (thumb gestures and, or a quick round of liked & did not like, deeper discussion would be scheduled for another time), and Closing Touch-In
B.  Dedication of Merit
C.  Bow

 

Decisions Made

N/A

 

Action Items

Date Due Date Lead Action Item Details
2021.03.16 2021.03.17 IT 24-hour turnaround for follow up communication to the PT on Groups IO

Coordinating Body Minutes Meeting of 2021.03.09

Attendees :  Catherine Éveillard, Ivan Tröscher, Janet Bronstein, Jim Fladmark, Kristine McCutcheon, Nora Wiser, Shel Sampa Fisher
Guests :  Shambhala Board Members Susan Ryan, Peter Nowak
Absent : 

Roles
Facilitator :    SSF    Minutes :  SSF      Time Keeper : JF
Speakers List :       Well-Being :       Call Host :    JF

Item

1. Meditation

2. Opening
2.A.  Opening Touch-In (brief transition: “what is alive in me now”)
2.B.  Review/ Assign Meeting Roles
2.C.  Approval of minutes of last meeting
2.D.  Approval of today’s Agenda
2.E.  Make copies of this document for approved Agenda, and for taking Minutes
2.F.  Confirm Date of Next Meeting (2021.03.16)
2.G.  Confirm Call Connection Info for Next Meeting
2.H.  Upcoming Events
– All PT-call March 27, 15:00 Eastern Time

3. Status Updates

3.A.  Working Theme of March 27 All-PT Call
– Serving on PT
3.B.  Finance and Legal Group update and support
– Invite BW and LJ for 30 min of next CB meeting?
3.C.  IT&Comms ST, PM&Admin ST new members
3.D.  Adding CB Minutes to PT Web Site
3.E.  Next step for CoC CE Conversation – call Fred Meyer
3.F.  2021 CB Nomination Process
– On hold while we work with Assessment process and Serving on PT topic.
3.G.  CE TF Update
– GMS 1 round of conversations scheduled through to 2021.03.26
– Notes from conversations will all be posted to CE web page / site as they become available
– Leadership series will continue beyond current round, though form it will take to be explored.

4.  Serving on the PT – PT Feedback and Returning to the Proposal Forming Process

Discussion – What is the CB Ground re. this issue

Body Break

5. Assessment Process of Shambhala by Shambhala Board and Potrang

  • The Sakyong has expressed a desire to help things get unstuck.
  • In the Assessment Process, there is 1 volunteer Facilitator to work with the 2 Boards and the 6 pairs Assessors throughout the process.
  • PT should advise Shambhala Board of anything a WG or PT feels is essential that be taken into account, and provide a contact person for each of the 6 areas of concern.  This information and contact person will be passed on to the Facilitator, with the request to pass it on to respective Assessors of both Boards.
  • Request that PT provide the Shambhala Board with a summary document by 2021.03.14.
  • Shambhala Board’s criteria for selection of its Assessors included :
    • Specific expertise
    • Consistent expression of neutrality in their views
  • Each Assessor may, or may not, produce findings that agree with the other
  • Some Assessors have requested anonymity, so names of Assessors will not be shared.  One of the concerns is (not) being flooded with lobbying.
  • Shambhala Board is hands off :  its Assessors are independent and free of having to report to the Shambhala Board
  • PT may also get in touch with the Potrang Board separately
  • Board hopes to be able to share greater detail in April ; proceeding carefully with intention to keep all parties on-board.  Current emphasis is on building trust and open communication between Potrang & Shambhala Boards.
  • CE TF would be open to host a series tailored to Assessors’ needs.
  • WG invited to share a list of :
    • Things that are relevant to one of the topics (“baskets”) being covered by the Assessors. 
    • Things that a WG thinks is essential and useful for the advisors of any particular topic (“baskets”) to be informed of (pretend they have no knowledge of anything the PT has worked on).
    • Things that a WG has presently available.

6. Review backlog items on Trello

Debrief and Closing
A.  Brief Meeting Evaluation (thumb gestures and, or a quick round of liked & did not like, deeper discussion would be scheduled for another time), and Closing Touch-In
B.  Dedication of Merit
C.  Bow

 

Decisions Made

N/A

 

Action Items

Date Due Date Lead Action Item Details
2021.03.09 2021.03.09 KM Time Sensitive – Issue invitation to PT to contribute to PT List of References to share with Assessors.
2021.03.09 2021.03.10 KM Publish CB Minutes up to 2021.03.02 to PT website

Coordinating Body Minutes Meeting of 2021.03.02

Attendees : Catherine Éveillard, Ivan Tröscher, Janet Bronstein, Jim Fladmark, Nora Wiser, Shel Sampa Fisher
Absent : Kristine McCutcheon

Roles
Facilitator : JF     Minutes : SSF     Speakers List:
Well-Being :     Time Keeper : SSF     Call Host : JF

Item

1. Meditation

2. Opening
2.A. Opening Touch-In (brief transition: “what is alive in me now”)
2.B. Review/ Assign Meeting Roles –
2.C. Approval of minutes of last meeting
2.D. Approval of today’s Agenda
2.E Make copies of this document for approved Agenda, and for taking Minutes.
2.F. Confirm Date of Next Meeting (2021.03.09)
2.G. Confirm Call Connection Info for Next Meeting
2.H. Upcoming Events (see status updates below)
– All PT-call February 21, 2pm Eastern Time

3. Status Updates

3. A. Finance and Legal Group update and support
– Invite BW and LJ for 30 min of next CB meeting?
– F&L would like a follow up call to clarify

3.B. Evaluation of the CB – Role Appreciation & Evaluation
– Next steps get PT feedback on questions
– Next step : Formal CB approval needed of form to be shared with PT

3.C. Assessment Process of Shambhala by Shambhala Board and Potrang
– Details are still being sorted out; process should start in a week or two

D. Next step for CoC CE Conversation – call Fred Meyer
– Discussed at last HLP meeting, still to do.

4.  Serving on the PT

4.A  PT Feedback from PT Service document

Adding clarification for Joining the PT / Serving on the PT / Leaving the PT.
Review proposal to define term of service, commitment, and process to add or remove PT members
Draft document – PT Service Topics

View
Our conversations create our community, let us have conversations that create the community we want.

Next step : share with PT the next step of this process
CB summary of what people have shared, and CB thoughts on the issues.
Need to return to a Proposal Forming stage
Clarify context for the proposal
CB will be renewing roles by MidSummer’s Day (ideally on a rolling 3-year basis)
There are people ready to join the PT, and we will be wanting to invite more : we need to be able to be clear with them about what they are signing up for, commitment.
Clarify proposal making process (SSF), and next steps.

Discussion
What has the PT done ?
– Wrote the Code of Conduct
– Community engagement framework
– Ton of survey and data management support
– Work on governance history, models and issues
How do we ensure needed structure of PT as a whole, while supporting autonomy of WG & ST ?
Process Team is independent of Board & Potrang and their assessment is independent of PT activity.
Purpose of PT goes beyond a leadership crisis, carries forward.

Questions to expand on and remind where we are at :
– What autonomy do WG need ?
– What is the role of the CB ?
Ask WG :
– How do you presently deal with bringing people in, being active, and stepping down ?
– Ask people serving on the PT :
– Why are you involved in the PT ?
– If you feel the PT has no purpose, what keeps you on the PT ?
– What kind of accountability are you prepared to accept ?
– What is the role of the PT in Shambhala ?
– How can we have more involvement in the PT ?
– Is the structure that we need for Year 3 different than the one we have now ?
– Could we do a PT-Community brainstorm on (new) areas that need attention ?

4.B.  Europe
Could we create a Support Team to encourage Europeans to enter the PT and WG (most of the original members have left or are inactive) and this Support group could also be a space to discuss the European issues.

Body Break

5. PT and new CB members (by May)

2021 CB Nomination Process – Google Docs
Agreement that this activity will depend on outcome of Serving on PT discussion currently underway :: To be revisited.

6. CE topics and update

7. Review backlog items on Trello

Debrief and Closing
A. Brief Meeting Evaluation (thumb gestures and, or a quick round of liked & did not like, deeper discussion would be scheduled for another time) and Closing Touch-In
B. Dedication of Merit
C. Bow

 

Decisions Made

Date Review Date Decision Details
2021-03-02 2021-03-30 Reschedule CB RAE for after Serving on PT process is resolved.

 

Action Items

Date Due Date Lead Action Item Details
2021-03-02 2021-03-09 All CB, SSF CB RAE Form :  Review and clear for sharing with PT
2021-03-02 Final review rand publish CB minutes to PT web site
2021-03-02 Create CB document for brainstorming questions to people serving on PT (as a product of PT feedback on proposal for Serving on PT)
2021-03-02 Draft a summary of the Proposal Forming Process & Decision Making Process CB has adopted
2021-03-02 Follow-up call with F&L re. coming to a next CB meeting

 

Coordinating Body Minutes Meeting of 2021.02.23

Attendees :  Catherine Éveillard, Janet Bronstein, Jim Fladmark, Kristine McCutcheon, Nora Wiser, Shel Sampa Fisher
Absent :  Ivan Tröscher

Roles
Facilitator :    JF    Minutes :     KM      Speakers List:    Well-Being :
Time Keeper :    JB    Call Host :    JF

Item

1. Meditation

2. Opening
2.A.  Opening Touch-In (brief transition: “what is alive in me now”)
2.B.  Review/ Assign Meeting Roles
2.C.  Approval of minutes of last meeting
2.D.  Approval of today’s Agenda
2.E.  Make copies of this document for approved Agenda, and for taking Minutes.
        Discussion of next Roles –
        Kristine will be away the next two weeks.
2.F.  Confirm Date of Next Meeting (2021.03.02)
2.G.  Confirm Call Connection Info for Next Meeting
2.H.  Upcoming Events (see status updates below)

3. Status Updates

3. A.  Debrief from All-PT call Sunday, February 22.
    Send out notes to PT?
    Yes, and we have a recording.
    B.  Finance and Legal Group update and support
    Invite BW and LJ for 30 min of next CB meeting?
    SS and JF will assist with interviews.
    C.  Evaluation of the CB – Role Appreciation & Evaluation.
    Next steps get PT feedback on questions
    D.  Assessment of Shambhala legal framework by Shambhala Board and Potrang
    Update that the meetings would be more about legal frameworks and bylaws and clarifying intersections.  It will still remain the purview of the Sakyong to decide.
    The Board wants to have some arm’s length from the assessors.
    The Board was going to suggest that the assessors talk to the PT.

4. Serving on the PT

4.A.  Adding clarification for Joining the PT / Serving on the PT / Leaving the PT
Review proposal to define term of service, commitment, and process to add or remove people from the PT

Draft Document – PT Service Topics

Proposal document is ready to share with the PT.
We are trying to validate a ‘form’ here.  A formal entrance, in a welcoming way.

Is there a requirement to be able to join the PT ?  At present it says accept PT Mission and Aims.
Personal references, linking to the individual ?  General interest in the well-being of the community ?
Requirements are unclear – so hard to use as a criteria.

Next steps – share with PT.

4.B.  Europe
Could we create a Support Team to encourage Europeans to enter the PT and WG (most of the original members have left or are inactive) ?, and could this Support Team could also be a space to discuss the European issues ?

Mary, Dian Marie, Ivan and Catherine – putting together a list of four or five languages and finding facilitators and inviting Joanna to meet with the CEI.

CE wants a discussion about access to the database.
    [KM says we have information in the communications of SGS/Board]

Identifying language groups

Weekly meeting – organizing various countries.

Body Break

5. Discussion in preparation of All-PT Call
Two Letters:
1) Letter from Torii group
2) Joint letter from Shambhala Board and Potrang Board

What is the role of the PT (community) in the assessment process ?
What is the role of the PT in the Torii group ?
Healing and Learning issue, having gone down the spiral of divisiveness ?

Could we write a letter – voicing communities perspectives ?
    Not from CB, maybe from all PT

Lots of discussion

Proposal to make another communication to the sangha mid March.

Culture things that could happen in our community – regardless of shifting legal structures.
(connected with code of conduct conversations)

What format/forms would move those conversations along?

Letter in response ?
A draft would have to be posted to the PT and get feedback : We would like your help to share this with the community.
We could take up that thread and see if we go further
    (without opening the door to subjective objections)
Agreement about sharing the notes – but it might be too late to actually write a letter from PT.

6. CE topics and Update

Lots of conversations coming up
Belonging – continuing
Governance – starting today
Centres and Groups – working with Susan S – starting soon – your center director can invite others to join them for these.

There is movement in the Right Use of power conversations..

JB will post invite on groups IO for all PTto join in.

Code of conduct. – what would be most fruitful for the community to have a conversation about.

How do we de-polarise ? – could be a good question.

Who acts on the responses ?

JF – will call a meeting and develop a plan for COC involvement with CEI – inviting Fred Meyer.

7. Begin process of transitioning to new CB members (by May)

In favour of re-using existing process – what the transition came up with last year.  

Can we post the steps of that process to this CB  – SS ?

How many would be interested in continuing beyond May? 

Did we determine term of CB? 

Or ratio of turnover? 

8. Review backlog items on Trello

Debrief and Closing
A.  Brief Meeting Evaluation (thumb gestures and, or a quick round of liked & did not like, deeper discussion would be scheduled for another time) and Closing Touch-In
B.  Dedication of Merit
C.  Bow

 

Decisions

N/A

Action Items

Date Due Date Lead Action Item Details
2021.02.23 SSF/JF Agenda Lead and Facilitator for next 2 weeks
2021.02.23 SSF/KM Follow up with Lynelle and interviews with the remaining volunteers.
2021.02.23 SSF Share PT service doc with PT
2021.02.23 JF Call a meeting and develop a plan for COC involvement with CEI – invite Fred Meyer
2021.02.23 SSF? Post the steps of the process of finding new CB to this CB group.
2021.02.23 KM Clean up and post All-PT notes and video
(needs help uploading video)

Coordinating Body Minutes Meeting of 2021.02.16

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Shambhala Process Team – Coordinating Body  Minutes  Meeting of 2021.02.16

Attendees :  Catherine Éveillard, Ivan Tröscher, Janet Bronstein, Jim Fladmark, Kristine McCutcheon, Nora Wiser, Shel Sampa Fisher  Absent :  

Roles  Facilitator : JF  Minutes : KM  Speakers List: Well-Being :  Time Keeper : JB Call Host : JF

Item
1. Meditation
2. Opening
2.A. Opening Touch-In (brief transition: “what is alive in me now”)
2.B. Review/ Assign Meeting Roles –
2.C. Approval of minutes of last meeting
2.D. Approval of today’s Agenda
2.E Make copies of this document for approved Agenda, and for taking Minutes.
Discussion of next Roles –
Kristine will be away the next two weeks.
2.F. Confirm Date of Next Meeting (3/02/21)
2.G. Confirm Call Connection Info for Next Meeting
2.H. Upcoming Events (see status updates below)

3. Status Updates

3. A. Debrief from All-PT call Sunday, February 22.
Send out notes to PT?
Yes and we have a recording.

B. Finance and Legal Group update and support
Invite BW and LJ for 30 min of next CB meeting?
SS and JF will assist with interviews.

C. .Evaluation of the CB – Role Appreciation & Evaluation.
Next steps get PT feedback on questions

D. Assessment of Shambhala legal framework by Shambhala Board and Potrang
Update that the meetings would be more about legal frameworks and bylaws and clarifying intersections. It will still remain the purview of the Sakyong to decide.

The Board wants to have some arm’s length from the assessors.
The Board was going to suggest that the assessors talk to the PT.

E.
4. PT membership: Adding PT membership / clarification of membership / leaving members
Review proposal to define term of service, commitment, and process to add or remove PT members
Draft – PT Service Topics

Proposal document is ready to share with the PT.

We are trying to validate a ‘form’ here. A formal entrance, in a welcoming way.

Is there a requirement to be a member of Shambhala? At present it says accept PT mission and aims.
Personal references, linking to the individual. General interest in the well being of the community.

Membership is unclear – so hard to use as a criteria.

Next steps – share with PT.

4b. Europe: Could we create a Support Team to encourage Europeans to enter the PT and WG (most of the original members have left or are inactive) and this Support group could also be a space to discuss the European issues.

Mary, Dian Marie, Ivan and Catherine – putting together a list of four or five languages and finding facilitators an
And inviting Joanna to meet with the CEI.
CE wants a discussion about access to the database.
[KM says we have it via the communications of SGS/Board]

Identifying language groups
Weekly meeting – orginising various countries.

 

Body Break
5.Discussion of All-PT call: Two Letters: 1) Letter from LD group; 2) Joint letter from Shambhala Board and Potrang Board

What is the role of the PT (community) in the assessment process? What is the role of the PT in the Torii group?
Healing and Learning issue, having gone down the spiral of divisiveness?

Could we write a letter – voicing communities perspectives?

Not from CB from all PT –

Lots of discussion…

Proposal to make another communication to the sangha mid march….

Culture things that could happen in our community – regardless of shifting legal structures. (connected with code of conduct conversations)

What format/forms would move those conversations along?

Letter..
Reached two conclusions from the meeting – umbrella (but phrased better)
And (missed it janet)
Post to pt and get feedback – we would like your help to share this with the community.
Take up that thread and see if we go further
(without opening the door to subjective objections)
In agreement about sharing the notes – but it might be too late to actually write a letter from PT.

 

 

6. CE topics and update

Lots of conversations coming up
Belonging – continuing
Governance – starting today
Centres and groups – working with Susan S – starting soon – your center director can invite others to join them for these.

There is movement in the Right Use of power conversations..

JB will post invite on groups IO for all PTto join in.

Code of conduct. – what would be most fruitful for the community to have a conversation about.
How do we de-polarise – could be a good question.

But who acts on the responses.

JF – will call a meeting and develop a plan for COC involvement with CEI – inviting Fred Meyer.
7. Begin process of transitioning to new CB members (by May)

In favour of re-using existing process – what the transition came up with last year.

Can we post the steps of that process to this CB – SS ?

How many would be interested in continuing beyond May?

Did we determine term of CB?

Or ratio of turnover?
8. Review backlog items on Trello
Debrief and Closing
A. Brief Meeting Evaluation (thumb gestures and, or a quick round of liked & did not like, deeper discussion would be scheduled for another time) and
Closing Touch-In
B. Dedication of Merit
C. Bow

Decisions Made

 

Date Review Date Decision Details

 

Action Items

 

Date Due Date Lead Action Item Details
soon ss Poll for times weekend or weekday for upcoming all PT calls
ss/km Follow up with it support – and the two people who have it communications 
today KM Posting the notes from the meeting with land centres
today JB/SS Framing question for All PT and pass to KM to post everywhere. 
PT Call Theme – Impact of Board & Torii Group letters on PT (with PT Mission as context)

Brainstorming ideas :
Impact and Opportunities of the Recent Letters from the Board & from the Torii Group – Come share your thoughts about how the PT and its Mission might be affected, and how PT might best serve the community as a result.

 

Coordinating Body Minutes Meeting of 2021.02.09

Shambhala Process Team – Coordinating Body  Minutes  Meeting of 2021.02.09

Attendees :  Catherine Éveillard, Janet Bronstein, Jim Fladmark, Kristine McCutcheon, Nora Wiser, Shel Sampa Fisher  Absent :  Ivan Tröscher

Roles  Facilitator : JF  Minutes : KM  Speakers List : Well-Being :  Time Keeper : JB Call Host : JF

Item
1. Meditation
2. Opening
2.A. Opening Touch-In (brief transition: “what is alive in me now”)
2.B. Review/ Assign Meeting Roles –
2.C. Approval of minutes of last meeting
2.D. Approval of today’s Agenda
2.E Make copies of this document for approved Agenda, and for taking Minutes.
2.F. Confirm Date of Next Meeting (2/09/21)
2.G. Confirm Call Connection Info for Next Meeting
2.H. Upcoming Events (see status updates below)
All PT-call February 21, 2pm Eastern Time
3. Status Updates

3. A. main@shambhala-process-team.Groups.io calendar
Review for accuracy. Frequency of Upcoming Events calendar?

B. Brief discussion on All-PT call Saturday, January 23
Written report of All-PT call?

C. Any Follow up on the PT February Communication
Adding announcement about CE conversations

D. Report on Gov meeting this past week
Some feedback from the Community Engagement via GMS
GMS would like it to continue
Our current focus is on more ‘meta governance’ rather than local governance.
Agreement that the first conversation be an open field

Signoff from GMS for communications via CEI – dia, ivan, ss

E. Report on PTP meeting this past week
Working to frame some questions for the upcoming CE discussions.
Following up on KCL’s programming – the new residents are asking for programming that has both SMR and non SMR content.

Resistance to ‘uplifting’ or changing the curriculum in any way –
Not able to get a meeting together to

Proposal to have PTP set up a group of ‘teachers’ to work on curriculum uplifting.
Nora says she will bring this to PTP and call out for sangha involvement.
4. Evaluation of the CB – Role Appreciation & Evaluation.
Next steps get PT feedback on questions

SV feedback – discussion

Need to add a summary of what we have done (before it can be evaluated.

What kind of communication can work for you?

We (CB) need to re-read and add to the middle of this document.

Body Break
5a. PT membership: Adding PT membership / clarification of membership / leaving members
Review proposal to define term of service, commitment, and process to add or remove PT members
Draft – PT Service Topics

Discussion – reframing the document around making it one thing – clarifying the role of PT service and then adding an amendment for Aides or supports – later.

SS will rewrite and ensure nothing is lost and make a new clean proposal for all to comment on.
5b. Europe: Could we create a Support Team to encourage Europeans to enter the PT and WG (most of the original members have left or are inactive) and this Support group could also be a space to discuss the European issues.

Discussion – it is obvious that we are low in certain regions in the PT. the initial participation from Europe has mostly dissolved. Now rather than finding those who have left – encouraging new participation that could be a hybrid, supporting PT and also meeting regionally?

Maybe this could be inclusion led WG or task force?

6. Finance and Legal Group update and support
Invite Barbara W and Lynele J for 30 min of next CB meeting?
Ivan is reference point – connect to finance and volunteers
Clarify board contact – we think it is Peter and Phill
Invite to a CB meeting – (both board and F&L
And set up meeting for FL in addition to that.
GMS task – review viability of models
Clarify who is board contact currently (Jon B is away)
7. All-PT themed call on Sunday, Feb 21, 2pm EST
Theme?

Should we continue? We have done this for 6 months and we are getting low participation?
We put a lot of effort into making the content helpful and nourishing.
The point is that the PT has been able to get input. Is this the best way to do it?
Something in there seems to move things forward – helpful
Societal self awareness function –

General consensus – to continue – even if just the working group updates – it has added value.

Update – the CCSG is dissolving – it’s time is up. So maybe some of those people will be able to re-circulate in the PT

Functional/effective communication channels – in general and in shambhala – how is that changing –
Communications from the board, it group, pt, kasung interest group, influencers, regional

KM moving this forward for an open conversation –

8. Review backlog items on Trello
And please ADD items to trello as you think of them.

Debrief and Closing
A. Brief Meeting Evaluation (thumb gestures and, or a quick round of liked & did not like, deeper discussion would be scheduled for another time) and
Closing Touch-In
B. Dedication of Merit
C. Bow

Decisions Made

 

Date Review Date Decision Details

 

Action Items

 

Date Due Date Lead Action Item Details
JB Post CEI Update Communication to all on PT
NW Proposal to have PTP set up a group of ‘teachers’ to work on curriculum uplifting.  

Nora says she will bring this to PTP and a call-out for sangha teacher/PE involvement.  

All  We (CB) need to re-read and add to the middle of the CB RA&E document. 
KM Communication of notes of last All-PT call with Land Centres. 
SS Will rewrite PT Service Topics document and ensure nothing is lost and make a new clean proposal for all to comment on.  
KM Move forward to next month the All-PT Open Conversation invite